Thursday 15 August 2013

Keeping busy. . .

It's been a funny old week. I've turned another page in my life. My baby girl has left home to start her new life in England.  I'm sad and happy and redundant till holiday times.  I liked being a full time Mum, best job in the world. It has come to an end and I have to be grown up and adjust.
So after mooching about and feeling sorry for myself I got out the paints...
Acrylic paints take me right out of my comfort zone...which I hate hate hate double hate! Being out of my comfort zone that is. So I put on my big girl pants and took the bull by the horns and I'm really pleased with how this painting turned out.  I don't know what I was fussing about. I used lots of gesso, acrylics, pastels and ink etc. Funny how you start with one idea and then it evolves into something else. This little girl is off to England to live on Ellen's desk at Uni.
 And this little girl and owl are still at the WIP stage.  I think the problem with acrylics is I need lots of space and time and I hate to waste the paint. It annoys me when blobs of paint dry up. With watercolour you just add a little more water and your good to go. This is a completely different style for me but I like it. It still needs work and that's ok.

These little watercolour and ink girls are bookmarks that went to live with my eldest daughter Rebecca.

These were two ideas I came up with for the course that I have just finished and PASSED....yay!

And last but not least, this is me being a bit of Princess...

It helps to keep busy when life hurts...I'll get over myself in a day or two...just wishing I could turn back time for a little while anyway...

That's my not so Fun and total Nonsense for this week...x

7 comments:

Tracey FK said...

It has taken me a whole cup of tea to catch up on your work, and i am beyond sad that the big day has happened.. I would be inconsolable so I am mightily impressed that you are back creating... I intend on putting my offspring to work on the weekend making me peanut butter and white chocolate brownies, the exquisitely illustrated recipe for which was sent to me by someone who is generous and crazy thoughtful... thank you dear one... and hugs to you...xx

Jehanne's doodles said...

The girl and the cat is really fantastic. I love how it turned out.
I do something like this to keep my acrylic paints usable over a couple of days - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtvaTQH7FXk
I dread the day when my monsters leave the our cave :}

denthe said...

You did a wonderful job with the acrylics, but those bookmarks are my favorite. LOVE them! I always use my leftover acrylics on pages in my art journal or on a blank canvas. That way it's never wasted ...

Faye said...

Catherine, I love your post today. Having the empty nest syndrome is a real thing. We have to remember that after a certain age, what we say probably doesn't sink in. We just have to trust that when the children are growing up we have done our best. Your daughter is also having a special time and it's an exciting time for her. Hugs to you both. I love all your paintings today, the finished one with beautiful eyes and all the WIP.

PiaRom said...

Love your play with acrylics... the girl with the owl is beautiful, even it is a WIP...it is always fun to work out of the comfort zone ;) Hope you are a bit happier today ♥ Conny
http://piaromsartjournaling.blogspot.de

Melody said...

Love all the drawings! ~ The bookmarks are great, would love to see those fun girls peeping out the top,luring you back to see what happens next! I suppose it makes sense that you can expand your comfort zone, by sneaking over the lines sometimes... I agree about not liking to waste paint,so I usually use watercolor pencils ~ no waste there! :))) You'll get used to the new world you're in ~just takes a bit of time. Sending happy thoughts, and applause for your fun art!

Sabina said...

Aww. I can understand why it's an emotional time for you, but you definitely did the right thing by turning to your paints. Great stuff, especially the WIP of the girl with the owl. Hope your daughter likes the piece you made just for her.

As for acrylics--I've never used them at all so I get what you mean about leaving your comfort zone. But you seemed to adapt to the new medium pretty well!