Monday 29 November 2010

Windmills

Windmills, there are lots of beautiful windmills where I live in the Charente-Maritime (France), unfortunately most of them are in ruin. Thankfully there are one or two in full working order. The fascinating facts about our mills: the roofs are made of wood and turn with the help of a long poll and once a upon time a donkey, so that the sails can be turned to the prevailing winds. There are two doors into the mills, so if one door is blocked by the sails, the miller can go in through the other door. I pass several on my way to work every day...they remind me of fairy tales and the other day I thought of Rapunzel : then I had a horrible thought... what would happen if Rapunzel got nits... 

4 comments:

Morph Waffle said...

Great drawing! I love windmills and that little dog!

sweet limes said...

Oh my goodness! I love windmills! This is darling!

Jehanne's doodles said...

Rapunzel was locked away in tower away from other kids so she was spared from the joys of kindergarten - nits, stomach bugs and cold :)
Makes one think of benefits of her parents way of thinking -just kidding :)
Nice windmills.Cute dog:)

Leah said...

love that little dog!